Fanthorp Inn State Historic Site
consists of six acres in Anderson, 10 miles from Navasota.
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department acquired the property by purchase in
1977 from a Fanthorp descendant, and it was opened to the public Oct.
4, 1987, to demonstrate 19th century life at an early Texas stagecoach
stop and family home. Ten years were spent researching and restoring the
inn to its 1850 use as both a family home and travelers' stop.
The double-pen, cedar log dogtrot house was built by an English
immigrant, Henry Fanthorp, when Texas was part of Mexico. Fanthorp
petitioned Stephen F. Austin in 1832 for permission to settle in this
original Austin Colony. He bought 1,100 acres and built his house in
1834 on the road that crossed his land, thus bringing travelers to his
door immediately. Henry Fanthorp was appointed postmaster by the
provisional Texas government in 1835, and saw the advantage of offering
other services and goods to his frequent visitors. Within time,
Fanthorp's Inn became a well-known stopping place for both travelers and
Open for public tours on Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Reservations are required for group tours and school events.